As the official free-to-air broadcaster of the Tokyo Olympic Games and a historic partner of the Olympics in France, France Télévisions achieved record ratings thanks to the efforts of its France 2, France 3 and France 4 channels and the La 1ère network, almost 24 hours a day, as well as its unique digital offering with the France.tv and franceinfo.fr platforms and the France tv sport app.
Press release frome France Télévisions – 09/08/2021
More than 50 million French people* watched the exceptional coverage on France Télévisions channels, with nearly 650 hours of airtime, equivalent to 40 hours of airtime every day:
- In total throughout the competition, more than 50 million French people* tuned in to the Olympic Games, i.e., 87% of the public (that’s 6 million more than for Rio 2016)
- Nearly 9 out of 10 French people followed the Tokyo Olympic Games
- French people spent an average of 7.53 hours watching the Olympic Games (individual viewing time)
- 6 million 15–24-year-olds (90% of the target) and 25 million working people (93% of the target) watched the competitions
France 2 and France 3 boosted by the Tokyo Olympic Games during the day:
- On France 2, from 2 p.m.: an average of 2.7 million viewers and 27.2% audience share. The channel was the ratings leader among all audiences.
- On France 3 at 1p.m.: an average of 2.6 million viewers and 19.6% audience share.
Outstanding ratings and memorable moments with the most exciting events and greatest sporting feats:
- 6.8 million viewers tuned in to watch the French men’s volleyball team win the final (Saturday, August 7)
- 6.1 million viewers watched the French men’s handball team win the final (Saturday, August 7)
- 5 million viewers for the French judo team’s gold medal (Saturday, July 31)
- 4.8 million viewers for Romain Cannone’s gold medal in fencing (Sunday, July 25)
- 4.2 million viewers watched the victory of the French women’s handball team (Sunday, August 8)
On July 23, the opening ceremony presented by Eglantine Eméyé, Alexandre Boyon and Thierry Marx attracted 4 million viewers. And 4.3 million viewers then tuned in to watch the closing ceremony on Sunday, August 8, with Marie-Christelle Maury, Alexandre Boyon and Thierry Marx.
Record ratings for the magazines:
- JO Club every day at 5:30 p.m., presented by Laurent Luyat: France 2 was the ratings leader with 2.2 million viewers and 22.2% average audience share.
- Tout le Sport spécial JO every day at 8:45 p.m. presented by Fabien Lévêque: 2 million viewers and 10.2% average audience share on France 3
- Stade 2 presented by Matthieu Lartot: 1.7 million viewers and 9.4% audience share on France 3
The strength of the digital offering with, for the first time, 1,100 live broadcasts and nearly 3,000 hours on France.tv, the France tv sport app, and the franceinfo platform and app:
- 62 million video views
- 700 million minutes viewed
- 24 million visits and 57 million page views for the content dedicated to the Olympic Games on the franceinfo website and app.
*Reach, viewing threshold: 60 non-consecutive seconds
Sources: MÉDIAMÉTRIE and AT Internet